A Letter of Gratitude To A Company with A Really Big Heart
I very recently contacted a corporation about an emblem they were using in a brand new campaign for a particular collection they were selling, which was an almost identical logo for a certain group of child sexual abusers. I will refrain from naming the company because I don’t wish to cause them trouble after their rapid and compassionate response to this situation.
I wish to openly thank that company, which has been visiting my site regularly to learn more about Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) and the abusers. Here is a brief rundown of what happened:
- I noticed the image last Wednesday and immediately sent off an e-mail to the company’s customer care department.
- By that night, my site had received several visits by the company, which were rather lengthy and examining the information I had to offer.
- Over the course of the next few days, they visited my site regularly, reading through much of my material.
- On Saturday, I received a letter from the president of the company addressing the situation. I noticed after reading his letter that the image had been removed from their site as well as, what he had informed, their ads.
- On Monday morning, I received a phone call from someone in their offices wishing to speak on the matter, and a follow up on Tuesday. Both conversations were pleasant, and I felt a great sense of relief in how they had addressed the situation and the words from the person who contacted me regarding the issue.
- On Tuesday afternoon, I received another message from the president of the company, expressing even more heartfelt consideration, which the first e-mail expressed, as well.
Within one week’s time, this rather large company worked what appeared to me to be nearly around the clock to set right the unintentional wrong. They worked on the weekend and took this matter extremely seriously. Much of it, undoubtedly, was for the sake of reputation. However, there was no mistaking the sincere compassion and interest in the issue of CSA by the head of this company as well as his staff.
I have been deeply moved by this experience. This field makes us bitter, cold, hard, distant .. many lovely things such as that. We immediately expect a war with anyone we approach on this subject because it’s what we mostly get, even in the form of defenders of the abusers rather than of the victims. This whole thing has renewed much of my faith in not only people but big corporations to do the right thing. It has stoked the fire within me that, admittedly, quiets to a glowing ember when so much negativity and pain have hit me continuously without any sign of reprieve.
I wish I could name them but I won’t. I don’t want to bring any more problems to them, which may result in hurting those within the company who have done nothing wrong, have gone above and beyond to help, and have children of their own who could be hurt by any fall out over something that, really, is a non-issue at this point thanks to their fast response. This is how I feel, anyway.
I hope they visit at least one more time so they see this. If they do, let me say again how much I have appreciated your actions and your words in our correspondences, both written and vocal. Thank you!