Child Sexual Abuse Statistics
From Warriors For Innocence:
- 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before their 18th birthdays.
- 1 in 5 children are sexually solicited while on the Internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- The median age for reported sexual abuse is 9 years old.
- More than 20% of children are abused before the age of eight.
- 50% of all victims of forcible sodomy, sexual assault with an object, and forcible fondling are under age twelve.
- Most child victims never report the abuse. Over 30% of victims never disclose the experience to ANYONE.
- 85-90% of all sexual assaults against children are committed by someone whom the victim knew.
- 35% involve a family member, and 50% of all assaults take place in the home of the child or the offender.
- Nearly 70% of child sex offenders have between 1 and 9 victims; at least 20% have 10 to 40 victims.
- Approximately 40% are abused by older or larger children they know.
- An average serial child molester may have as many as 400 victims in his lifetime.
- The typical sexual predator will assault 117 times before being caught.
- An estimated 3.3 percent of the 4,300 released child molesters were rearrested for another sex crime against a child within 3 years. Most of the children they were alleged to have molested after leaving prison were age 13 or younger.
- Almost 80% of victims initially deny abuse or are tentative in disclosing. Of those who do disclose, approximately 75% disclose accidentally. Additionally, of those who do disclose, more than 20% eventually recant even though the abuse occurred.
- Fabricated sexual abuse reports constitute only 1% to 4% of all reported cases. Of these reports, 75% are falsely reported by adults and 25% are reported by children. Children only fabricate ½% of the time.
- Victims of child sexual abuse report more substance abuse problems. 70-80% of sexual abuse survivors report excessive drug and alcohol use.
- Young girls who are sexually abused are 3 times more likely to develop psychiatric disorders or alcohol and drug abuse in adulthood, than girls who are not sexually abused.
- Among male survivors, more than 70% seek psychological treatment for issues such as substance abuse, suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide. Males who have been sexually abused are more likely to violently victimize others.
- Of people known to sexually abuse children, men outnumber women 8:1. Most often the person who sexually abuses children is a heterosexual male ranging in age from adolescence to middle age. [taken from comments on original post]
Sources: here, here, and here.